How to Help: FAQ
I want to volunteer, where do I start?
In order to become a volunteer at the Licking County Humane Society, please stop by our shelter to fill out a volunteer application. Questions? Meet with the LCHS Volunteer Coordinator, Susanna Snyder.
Do I need to commit to a certain schedule every week?
No. While LCHS benefits from having volunteers who can commit to a schedule, it is OK to volunteer on a drop-in basis.
Do I need a background check or reference check?
We complete a public record check before a volunteer is approved.
Will I get training?
Yes. You must complete the LCHS Volunteer Training before you begin volunteering.
The training is offered the first Tuesday of every month from 7-8:30p.
Once you are an approved volunteer, you can access the Volunteer Portal in Volgistics to self-schedule for the training.
The training includes:
- Dog walking and Weiss Walkie training.
- Information about LCHS’s volunteer and community programs.
- Shelter tour and cleaning protocols.
*If you are an approved volunteer, and are interested in attending a training, please email Susanna at email@example.com.
Can I bring my children with me when I volunteer?
Yes, but there are age requirements.
These are the LCHS volunteer opportunities by age:
- While children under 10 are welcome to visit the shelter, we ask that parents do not bring children under 10 for their volunteer rotations.
- Volunteers that are 15-years-old and younger, must be supervised by an adult (parent, guardian, etc.) They cannot handle dogs.
- Volunteers that are 16 and 17-years-old, may volunteer without adult supervision, as long as their volunteer application is signed by their legal guardian. They cannot handle dogs.
What kinds of activities can I volunteer to help with?
We have many different volunteer opportunities available, from serving on committees to working directly with the animals. LCHS relies on volunteers 7 days a week to help with dog walking, cleaning, front desk support, and help taking pets to events. Please stop by the shelter and complete our volunteer application.
I’m in, where do I sign up?
Please stop by LCHS and complete an application.